Why I Think Storm from X-Man is a Far Better Icon for Feminism then Wonder Woman
I’ve debating whether or not to post this. But more then that, how to articulate it.
I think Wonder Woman is an outdated voice for feminism. I see Wonder Woman and how she can do it all and then I get to thinking about intersection and how we’re still arguing within feminist circles about it. If we want to keep talking about feminism we need to start acknowledging we don’t face the same oppression.
I think Storm from X-Men would be the perfect face of feminism because she’s faced it all; from the Mutant Registration Act in the X-Men movie to the wrath of critics for her punk revival in the 80s to the death of her parents, these are all reasons she is a great face of feminism. When has Wonder Womans actual plot ever involved discrimination.
So in point form:
- Storm embraces intersection: Storms working with other mutants is kind of like intersection when you think about it. The fact that she gets together with a group of other mutants who protect each other and do good things as a team, is similar to intersection (at least in my mind). Shes working on a team. It’s not her on her own fighting crime, it’s with other people who are under the same threat of the Mutant Registration Act.
- Storm had a punk revival: And she got shit from critics for it too. There are a lot of punks within riotgrrl movement, who get shit for being punks. Not to mention feminism is all about dressing how you want and not having to get shit for it. To make Storm the face of feminism is by proxy embracing punk 80s Storm and saying “fuck you critics who didn’t like 80s Storm, we think she’s great.”
- Storm is among the first black comic book characters: to this day, comics are pretty damn white washed. Out side of the X-Men franchise how many popular Marvel black female super heroes are there, that you can think of off the top of your head.
- Storm is often portrayed as a strong leader. That’s what feminism needs to teach, strong leadership. Unless shes staring in her own comic, when do we ever see Wonder Woman take the lead? She’s always playing a supporting role in Justice League.
- Storm takes Kitty Pryde under her wing. She’s described as nurturing, she protects her, teaches her, shapes her. I’d much rather think about Storm nurturing Kitty Pryde then Wonder Woman being a super hero, when I think about feminism.
Maybe I’m just rambling and this post is going to get me in giant shit, but I do think Storm is a much better face of feminism then Wonder Woman.
- jemmagrace likes this
- demonicmuffin reblogged this from pewpewlasernipples and added:
- chillprince reblogged this from elysethegorgon
- elysethegorgon reblogged this from pewpewlasernipples
- pewpewlasernipples reblogged this from pewpewlasernipples
- foomanemma reblogged this from pewpewlasernipples
- kissmywonderwoman likes this
- artemisbarnowl likes this
- fonde likes this
- dannellgamer reblogged this from followtheblackrabb1t
- followtheblackrabb1t reblogged this from pewpewlasernipples
- followtheblackrabb1t said: YES!
- octothorp likes this
- pewpewlasernipples posted this